Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Attacktical openingsrepertoire I play with black.

Yesterday I posted my repertoire with white.
Now with black.

The scandinavian defense:
1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Nf6 3. c4 e6! the Icelandic gambit. I score 70% with it.

1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Nf6 3. d4 Bg5 the Portugese gambit
The idea is to castle long in most Scandinavian variations.

Queen Pawn:
1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e5 3. dxe5 Ne4 Budapest gambit Fajarovic variation. Score 60%

With black I have one big hole in my repertoire:
1. d4 Nf6 2. Nf3
I don't know what to do.
I have tried everything here.
But I just hate the move e6. After that all your possibilities for a kingside attack are gone.
I play now the idiotic 1. d4 Nf6 2. Nf3 e6 3. c4 Ne4 ?! with some sort of transposition to the Dutch defense (with f5 and Be7) which at least gives you a fight for the initiative and a chance for a kingside attack.
To anybody: HELP!! for an opening without e6 after 1. d4 Nf6 2. Nf3
Did I mention I tried EVERYTHING?

English:
1. c4 Nf6 2. Nc3 e5 3. Nf3 e4 4. Ng5 b5 the Bellon gambit.

This is really a weird gambit. I play it, but I don't understand it at all.
I have played it 9 times now, and I never lost with it! (+5=4)
In some way you invite white for a premature attack.
Which is not going to work for no apparent reason. And when you manage to solve your development problems white is lost!
So this opening I keep for educational reasons.
Odd.

Sokolsky:
1. b4 c6 2. Bb2 Qb6 3. a3 a5
I never played this one, but I'm gonna try it. (waiting for 1. b4)

All those openings (with black AND white - see post yesterday) give you a chance to fight for the initiative, piece play and kingside attack.
A further merit is that you get the variations often on the board and you set the opening to your hand at move 2 or 3.
It happens seldom or never that the pawn you sac in a gambitline becomes the reason that you loose the game. If your attack dries out, there's almost always the possibility to trade your initiative off for an enemy pawn.

I told you most of my opening-secrets so it's about time to change my handle at FICS :)

4 comments:

  1. I have played around with the scandanavian gambits, but there is one problem move order (which I have actually adopted as white): 1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.Nf3(!). Now black is pretty much forced to play Qxd5 or Nxd5 since 3...Bg4 (trying to transpose into the Portugese) is met by 4.Bb5+.
    The lines were black takes on d5 are by no means bad, but they are certainly not of the same spirit as the gambit lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting these. I'll keep it a secret! The English/Bellon gambit looks interesting.

    I don't know whether or not this will help, but some Chessmaster 8000 personalities play 1. d4 Nf6 2. Nf3 c6, and start attacking (arguably prematurely) with Black's Queen. Seeing this from White's point of view, I think it is a poor move, but later I get into trouble. It might not work at your level, though.

    DG, that looks very interesting! I never have seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I play now the idiotic 1. d4 Nf6 2. Nf3 e6 3. c4 Ne4 ?! with some sort of transposition to the Dutch defense"

    There's nothing wrong with that! Back when I played the Nimzo-indian, I used to play it to avoid having to play the Queen's Indian. I had a decent score against Masters and Experts with it. If you like the kind of Dutch positions you can get with it, you don't need to switch.

    ReplyDelete