Saturday, March 12, 2005

Seeing the game as a chesspuzzle

Yesterday night I played at my chessclub a game with a guy of rating 1653.
Because I have a reputation on my club for playing aggressive some weaker opponents start to open in a strange manner. So did he. The idea seems to be that playing strange moves will get me out of my book. Well of course that will be the case, but the most good moves are in the book, and if you play strange moves they are often not good. So I crushed him in 23 moves. Sometimes your ego needs an opponent who throws himself into the fire to get along with this harsh tactics-training.

The strange thing is that the guy has had a decent education in chess. It seems a form of schizophrenia that he forget everything when he opens a game.

I had a new experience. I played the game as if I where solving a chesspuzzle. If this manner of playing is gonna be the standard in the future I have good hopes!

1 comment:

  1. I think that's really cool. I have that feeling only when it's trivial to a win/draw, like 2 moves away.

    I know what you mean by "form of schizophrenia" players. I think we all go back into beginner habits under pressure :-\.

    ReplyDelete