Monday, May 05, 2008

Complex vs simple




















My new scanmethods work fairly well with the relative simple problems of Chess Tempo. In the past I have seen already two times that mastering simple problems is of little use for mastering complex problems, though. It was Phaedrus who told me so the second time and after checking it it proved he is right. So it is time to put these new scanmethods to the test with a complex problem-set. If you have read my blog in the past then you will find that it is common practice to test the same ideas a few times. Everytime more information is available though, so tests that first failed can go well later when new information is applied.
Today I started with the masterlevel problems of Renko's CD "Killermoves".

The first two problems already showed that the new methods are unsufficient to find the solution in more complicated cases. Only the 6th or 7th candidate move I tried was the right one.
I'm trying to find out what kind of scan will help to find these moves in the hope that there is a common factor.

3 comments:

  1. Hello

    I have Renko's Tactics and they are indeed well above my head.

    The moves are incredibly difficult to see because they need to be calculated out carefully and hits upon various strategic ideas.

    I have this funny feeling that the key might be memorisation of strategic concepts and key ideas aided by pattern recognition of combination tactics seem to be more telling in master games. Certain times, a GM makes a move and I go,"Huh?..."

    GMs also have an uncanny ability to make every tempo count and seem to know how many tempi is needed for the opponent to either defend or attack.

    Best of luck to your research.

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. While the simple aren't sufficient for the complex, they are necessary, no?

    ReplyDelete