Thursday, February 03, 2011

I've got rythm






















.
.
.
On my quest to find the right way to train skills I'm still working on the microdrill to learn the name of the squares by heart. After about one and a half hour of drilling in total (90 seconds per square), the skill starts to become fluent. It is not perfect, but already much and much better than it was. Another hour of training should make it perfect. Today I started to turn around the board. Allthough that goes somewhat better than when I started with the board straight, it is far from good.

You can't say that the training of the skill with the board straight didn't influence the training with the boardcolors reversed, but the effect is not great.

If microdrills proof to be the way to go, you must learn to love them. As MDLM did. What helps is to add rythm. In a week or two I should be ready to proof or falsify my case.

Still continuing to play a blindfold game or two each day.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with your microdrills although i am not sure it will help your skills.

    I mean a skill is something you have, a craft. What you are doing is just drill your brain. The difference i think is that by doing those drills your short time memory will remember the squares just like you know the stuff your crammed into your brain for an exam in your youth but the long time memory hasn't got a clue what you are doing.

    I hope that with these microdrills these squares also get into your long term memory so it becomes a skill and not just a drill.

    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm picturing you tapping the a4 square for 90 seconds yelling A4!A4!A4! But perhaps there is more to your method. I'm interested in hearing how you are drilling. If you explained this in an earlier post, feel free to point to it.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tak,
    http://temposchlucker.blogspot.com/2011/01/on-microdills.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lsst week. It seems I have my own short term memory issues. 8)

    ReplyDelete
  5. CT,
    you are too worrisome. When I reconstruct the name of a square, it is slow. For the simple reason that the part of the brain that reconstructs is slow. I now become fast. That can only be done with another part of the brain. For the simple reason that the part of the brain that reconstructs is too slow.

    If it lasts, is another matter indeed. But there is no need to speculate on that. Since I'm going to find out. Simply wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tak,
    The STM typically fades away within a minute, so you shouldn't be too. . .err what was I saying again?

    ReplyDelete