Friday, September 14, 2012

Base set

Today I finished to memorize a problemset of 178 high rated problems at CT.
I used two methods: verbalization by narratives and mentalization by diagrams. With verbalization I recalled 24% of the solutions while with using diagrams I recalled 91% when using short intervals (1-3 days). With long intervals (>10 days) these figures became 8% vs. 68% respectively.

In the end I made use of SRS which works well.
The problemset comprises almost every important trick under the sun. What I want to do now is to work on the transfer of these combinations to the game.

There are categories in memory like (hattip mr. Z.):
  • Encoding
  • Retrieval (cues)
  • Rehearsing
  • Processing
  • Organization and connection
In order to improve retrievement during the game, the knowledge has to be processed. The more you process knowledge, the more cues are formed and the more chunks and templates are created. One way of processing knowledge is to organize it in a hierarchical way and to connect identical ideas under different circumstances. So the next step I'm going to do is to categorize all 178 problems.

I only just started with this, but already  I identified the following categories:
  • Endgame with mutual promotion.
  • Battery with queen and knight against unprotected queen.
  • King flight to an incomprehensible square.
  • Mating attack threat on one wing while gaining wood at the other wing. Often an (unprotected) rook.
  • Incomprehensible solutions. There are quite a few problems where I don't know what I'm doing. Despite the fact that I can verbalize it, some mental short-circuiting takes place so I'm not able to appreciate the win. In the sense of an emotional indifference. There is no way I'm going to find these moves in a game.
  • Crowded pieces.
  • Place target on a square for a knightfork.
  • Beancount problems. Problems that I have difficulty with to know how much each side gains from a combination/counterattack.
  • Underestimated kingposition invasion. I continuously have difficulty to see the power of invasion.
  • Setting up a battery.
  • Fencing off hostile pieces from your promotion square.
  • Increasing threat in stead of cashing in.
I just realized that the chosen categories  have a clear connection with my mental make up. They mirror the problems I have with the puzzles. Which is a good thing, since that deserves extra attention.
I intend to milk out these 178 problems as much as possible by processing them from different angles of attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment