Saturday, December 19, 2015

Knowing what to do, but not how to do it

After a break of about two years, I started to think about chess again due to a question of someone. Thanks to the break, I forgot a lot of ballast, which is always helpful. After a week or two I reached a conclusion which you can read in the previous posts. I do some problem solving too, and it is crystal clear what the problem is. My brain is lead by the variations, in stead of being in control of it. In daily life, there usual is some logic in the things that happen, and my actions are in accordance with it as a result. This common sense seems to be gone when it comes to chess. If I make a double attack, I don't continue with the question "heh, is there a possible way he can address both threats? What if......?". In stead I continue by trial and error to find the continuation.

Is a bit like chopping down a tree, then forget that you chopped it, looking around what to do next and then starting to wash your car in stead of logging the tree into little fire wood blocks and bring those to a dry place before it starts to rain. Not noticing that it isn't logical to clean your car BEFORE you load it with fire wood.

In summary, I have to learn to see the invisible without being distracted by the visible. The previous posts should clarify this. In essence, this is exactly the same conclusion with which I ended before the break. Reaching the same conclusion via different routes, usually means that it is true in my experience. It explains every question that was raised by me the past 14 years.

What I don't know though, is HOW I should train this capability. I have tried every single method under the sun, but no method worked convincingly. It's clear that you will not improve by accident, it has to be a conscious effort. The parameters of the training listen closely. There's little margin for error. I will think about the HOW in more detail the coming weeks.

5 comments:

  1. I want to make chess diagrams with arrows, coloured squares etcetera. I used diagtransfer before, which worked like a charm. But that doesn't work under windows 10 anymore. Does anybody know a free alternative?

    ReplyDelete
  2. is there no "compatibility mode" at w10 ? Dont know any alternative except Fritz Chessbase asf which are not that good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found a very good alternative that has even a lot more possibilities, though the user interface is somewhat baroque: Lucas Chess. I will show you a few diagrams soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i use lucas chess, did not know it can do that all, so many features

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did know what to do, but not how to do it. . . ;)

    ReplyDelete