Sunday, November 25, 2018

List with flaws

System II has been on a spree, lately, so I gathered the following list

 A lot went wrong in the attention department. None of the problems needed a rocket scientist to solve.

 It took 3 minutes to see the magnet

I mean, what kind of problem is that? I either don't look at a certain part of the board OR I fail to realize the importance of what I see. Meaning, my attention is not where it should be.

It took a minute to see that my queen was protected

Have I trouble to see wether my queen was protected? Of course not. But as long as my attention doesn't shed light on the very fact, I can't see it. Of course I can't. Without attention nobody can.

In fact, I did see that my queen was protected. But I forgot. The moment I needed that knowledge, it wasn't there anymore.

The problem with the vultures view is that it adds redundancy. You see things you don't need to see. At the cost of time. Another problem is, that when you forget what you see, you can fly around in spirals forever.

The only way out seems to be to guide the attention by chess logic. In case of the protected queen:

White to move

After 1. Nc7 Qd8 the chess logic should go something like: My knight is pinned. Can I unpin it? If can if I protect my Queen, my knight is free to capture the bishop. How can I protect my queen? Oh wait, it is already protected!

I worked a lot on the standard scenarios, and this is such standard scenario. What to do when you are pinned (or think that you are pinned).

But the simple chess logic has never become fluent. It remained a system II exercise.

5 comments:

  1. tempo said: "
    It took 3 minutes to see the magnet

    I mean, what kind of problem is that? I either don't look at a certain part of the board OR I fail to realize the importance of what I see. Meaning, my attention is not where it should be"

    This move is easy to see if you look short for CCT. Where is CCT in your thinking process? When i dont see a juicy tactical weakness which "works" then i start a cct screening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In an old post I describe the discovery that the CCT method adds way too much redundancy in the form of silly moves that don't need to be scrutinized.

      I use some pruned version of it in the study room, when I think of it.

      This was a blitz problem, and in blitz mode there is no such thing as a thought process.

      Delete
  2. of course there is a thougt process, you did think something and it did not help you in the rigt way.
    I was thinking directly about the unprotected knight and rook and about exchanging the Rf1 and so on Bxf2, did recognise.. dont work, what now? remembered my rule, did start looking for kingsafty and checks and found the solution quite in time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When in blitz mode, we are dependent of the internalized thought process. My list of flaws shows that what is internalized from the thought process is way beyond what I hoped it would be. On a positive note, there is a lot to gain with relative simple means. IF we could only find a #@$%! way to internalize the thought process.

      Delete
    2. i dont think the thought process is a 100% must.. i think its a framework, a guidance
      As long as we have an idea, we can and should follow this idea, try to make it work but! try to see the drawbacks quick too, and then, when the moment of eeeeeeeehhhhhhhhmmmmmmm starts .. we remember where we are in our thinkingprocess and continue to follow it.. till the next idea pops up and we play around with this one.
      At the moment i follow this idea: analse problematic puzzles shematically according to the thinkingprocess and the weakness,method,candidate,change by move model
      Im now quite aware what i thought during may attempt

      Delete