Sunday, November 11, 2018

Repairing the flaws in the trial and error process

Boy, this must be the most boring chess site ever. If you don't know what is going on.

I become more and more convinced that trial and error is the most natural way to solve tactics. It is totally tailored for system I.

At the same time, it has become quite clear, that  my trial and error process is full of flaws. But I must not abandon the process, I must repair the flaws. Since abandoning the trial and error process, means attempting to replace it by some sort of thought process based on system II.

System II based thought processes don't work, as we have seen. Well, they kinda work, but at the cost of time, energy and added redundancy. Which means they don't work under time constraint.

In order to find out what we are talking about, I have done 164 blitz problems today at Chess Tempo. Those 164 were needed for an estimated FIDE rating. This is the baseline:

Blitz rating: 1683
All Time High: 1806
Estimated FIDE rating based on blitz: 1794
As you might remember, I consider an All Time High of 2050 as the proof that a method works.

I'm going to use the 164 problems as the base for the investigation of the flaws in my trial and error process. I look forward to it!

3 comments:

  1. most people increase during the first 1000 or so puzzles in a new mode and depending on your bio-rythm?? your rating has a +-50; so i guess you are at 1800 again in "notime" ..
    A thought process does slow you down, thats for shure but it creates usefull "board vision exercises" which become subconcious and then.. are obsolete.. ( i hope ).
    And a thought process does show you: where your weakness is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jesus why are you doing the same things again.
    You haven't changed your thought process so you will find yourself at the same place you were YEARS ago. Trial and error, oh please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a look at this video and tell me whether GingerGM makes abundant use of trial and error or not.

      Delete