Wednesday, January 02, 2019

Training the mini skills

The list of mini skills in the previous post gives a clear direction which way to go. I have a much clearer picture of how the training of mini skills should look like, nowadays.

Observations from practice showed that we are way less familiar with the basics of tactics than we are inclined to think. The basics are known, but only partly. And what is known from the basics, is only partly automated. Both issues must be addressed by a proper training:
  • We must supplement the lacking knowledge (system II)
  • We must automate the knowledge (system I)
  • The training must provide sufficient feedback
The margins of error
System II
The margins of error are very small. When we use a problem set with problems that are too complex, then there is too little repetition of the important issues. Important issues drown in the flood of unimportant issues. It is mainly a system II exercise. But since the conclusions drown in the flood of information, we tend to draw the same conclusions over and over again, without ever realizing that we forget these conclusions in the time period between repetitions.

System I
When the problem set is too simple, we tend to work on autopilot. When we work on autopilot, our consciousness is insufficiently activated. When our consciousness isn't awake, there is no sufficient feedback from our training. No feedback, no automation. We have a name for this type of training: the salt mines.

Constraints of the training
We need a separate training set for each mini skill. "Recognition of the targets of a duplo attack" was on my list of mini skills in the previous post. Since "duplo attack" is a collective name for different tactical elements, we can segregate the list further:
  • Fork/Double attack
  • Discovered attack
  • Pin
  • Skewer
  • Röntgen attack
In fact, it seems right to devote a problem set to every tactical label in the list at Chess Tempo.
  • The training set must not be too big, since we need repetition. 200 problems, at max. Maybe smaller is even better. 
  • The training set should not be too complex. I use problems with a rating between 1500 and 1550. 
  • The set must be specialized to improve the repetition rate. I intend to make a set for every tactical label at Chess Tempo. Right now I'm working on fork/double attacks. 
  • I use only problems with a maximum of two moves. That makes every problem relevant in accordance to its label, and it guarantees that problems are not too complex. The conclusions do not drown in the mass.
First experiences
The first impression of training with such set seems promising. Despite the fact that the problems are low rated and restricted to maximal two moves, a lot of new knowledge is discovered. It is quite surprising that there still is so much to know. The new knowledge is accompanied with new geometrical patterns. Whether that knowledge is going to be automated remains to be seen, though. I must probably play a bit with the margins.

Experiences from the past
I worked with problem sets that were labeled as double attacks in the past. But that were sets which were rated above 2000. And the sets contained a few thousand problems. So there was no relevant repetition. Solving took typically a few hours per problem. It was a typical exercise for system II.

I have worked with problem sets that were labeled as double attacks in the past which were rated below 1500. But since I focused on pace, and the problem sets were very big, there was little room for feedback, there was little relevant repetition and there was no (time for) developing of new knowledge.

Source: wikipedia

13 comments:

  1. I suggest to mix a little to get the aspect of decision trained. For example checkmate puzzles with pawnpromoton puzzles. Mixing 2 sets with 2 themes is still repetition enough

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Where I try to reduce the amount of stimuli to prevent system I from drowning, you add a new stimulus voluntarily. That can't be a good idea. Unless it is a good idea, in which case I apologize. It is too early to tell though. I start as simple as I can, an I will add complexity when it turns out to be too simple.

      I doubt whether decision making is a task for system I. So far, I didn't find decision making as a cause of failure on my list of mini skills. But I will keep an eye on it.

      Delete
    2. there are decisions: is the advanced pawn relevant or not / is ther an advanced pawn or not.. asf.
      I did exercise simple checkmates for a while ( setsize~4000+ ) result: i did gain points with checkmatepuzzles.. but.. i lost the same amount of points in the other puzzles.
      But no doubt.. to know each pattern well simply cant be bad. So ist necesary to start with leaning a sufficient set of examples for each pattern . Just, its not enought to see an expected pattern, its necessary to judge, if its realy working too. The time per refutation is relevant. I lose a lot of time for wrong ideas and have seldom problems to find an other idea.

      Delete
  2. Since I use problems with maximal 2 moves, the second tactical element is already built in in the set. A problem from the set contains a double attack AND a second tactical element. All combinations come along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I asked myself the question: should I go deep or should I go broad first. That is, should my next problem set be double attacks too, but with a higher rating, or should it be another tactical element.

    I did some experiments. The answer is: I better should go broad first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you have a good approach. It conforms to the following advice (with which you are already familiar):

    "In summary, becoming a skilled player requires the acquisition of a variety of well-indexed and cross-referenced kinds of knowledge—chunks, templates, and procedures. We may infer a few general educational principles from the theory we have sketched:

    1. Learning occurs best from the simple to the complex. This principle may also be described as gradually building up from the known to the unknown. It follows from the theory, because the building blocks of knowledge must be acquired first, before they can, for example, be used as variables in templates.

    2. Learning occurs best when the elements to be learnt are clearly identified. This helps provide a context for indexing as well as guidance for generalization.

    3. Learning occurs best by following an “improving spiral,” where the learner comes back to the same position, or material, and adds increasingly more complex new information to its knowledge-base. This process increases the chance of creating cross-referencing links.


    Gobet and Jansen, Training in chess - A scientific approach, 2005.

    I think that 200 problems per tactical theme may be overkill. Given there are 60 tactical themes listed at Chess Tempo, that would require at least 12,000 problems. I don't think there are 200 different nuances on a particular theme, presuming you can isolate each nuance into a separate problem limited to 2 moves. On the other hand, extended repetition of 200 problems on a specific theme may be sufficient variety to permanently embed that particular theme into LTM. Some variation of spaced repetition may be needed to avoid loss of LTM memory access to the patterns over time.

    Cautionary notes regarding trying to absorb a lot of patterns into LTM in a relatively short time period:

    "You shouldn't take 'tactical medicine' in large doses. Even the most beautiful combinations can set your teeth on edge if you swallow them with the greed of a hungry pelican. ... You should get to know the combinations carefully, thoughtfully, without distractions or hurry, returning again and again to the examined positions. Best of all, limit your daily ration to two or three 'dishes'." Victor Henkin, 1000 Checkmate Combinations, 2011.

    "Access to information is rapid once it has been learned, but learning is slow. It has been estimated that it takes about ten seconds to learn a new chunk in LTM (Simon & Chase, 1973)." Gobet and Jansen, Training in chess - A scientific approach, 2005.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I think that 200 problems per tactical theme may be overkill."

      You are right. I experimented a bit with the amount. 50 is too few. 75 is about just right.

      Delete
    2. Fascinating! It begins to look like NM Dan Heisman's "estimate" (attributed to GM Lev Alburt without citation) of approximately 2,000 tactical training "patterns" might be fairly close to the mark. 3,000 to 4,500 positions seems about the right number to capture the necessary-to-know patterns.

      I've never accepted the Simon and Chase (1973) "estimate" (based on a computer model) that masters "know" at least 50,000 patterns, with grandmasters knowing a lot more, perhaps 100,000 to 300,000. Only if every possible variation of a chunk or template was counted separately would it makes sense that they "know" that many patterns. I also think that the number separating masters and above decreases sharply the higher the skill level. The consequence is that GM players like Carauna, Nakamura, So et al are minimally different from World Champion Carlsen in terms of patterns. (Obviously, there may be other differences, but NOT in the number and quality of patterns which they can recognize and play properly.) Unfortunately, there is no way to scan their brains and count the actual number of patterns. Worse, no one seems to be able to define the actual chunks, slots and associate procedures in ANY given pattern. All we have are "edumacated" S.W.A.G.s (Scientific Wild-Ass Guesses) about the general idea, without specifics. It's nearly impossible to utilize the concept to build a coherent training regimen, much less one that is guaranteed to lead the student to the desired end state in the least amount of time.

      Only in my humble (and ignorant) opinion, of course.

      Delete
    3. @Tempo

      Can you share with us your problems as PGN of FEN file? I would like to test the same positions and see what results I can get. This way I (and maybe others as well?) could share my experience and maybe we could crack a few more issues.

      What do you think about it?

      Delete
  5. I started practicing my skills with the website blitztactics.com. I find it very attractive and useful. I reinforce a lot of ideas, but I miss some of these: probably 10-15% I have never seen nor solved.

    For me the optimal training is everyday practice (of tactics at BT) for about 1-1,5h. This way I can get to know more patterns and reinforce the present ones.

    And for repetition - I find it optimal to solve 55-60 puzzles with the goal of burning these into LTM. After 6-10 repetition I recognize these pretty well. And I am trying to get used to a new habit - working on at mates for 4-6 moves and winning material at 3-5 moves. I love it! :)

    I wonder if I can see real changes after 6 months of such work (I started 2 weeks ago, second half od December 2018).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you need to establish your present level in blitz mode at chesstempo. because of the ups and downs of the rating ( one week you are 100 points stronger than an other week ) this has to be done for a while.
      then you can always measure your improvement later.
      But imho your problem is not the "instincts" ( you are fast ) your problem is the calculation.
      Mate in 2 problems ( not mate in 2 tactics! ) would be good for you.

      Delete
    2. How many puzzles and what period I should solve to establish my present level in blitz at CT?

      I will solve some mate problems (I have a few hundreds waiting to be solved).

      Let's suppose my blitz stats will be 1900. What score (level) do I have to achieve to proof I make an improvement? 2100, 2200, 2300?

      Delete
  6. you will see how your rating at ct will rise and then start oscillating +-50? around a value
    this will take typically 1000-4000 puzzles and a few weeks
    Then an improvement of 100 points would be convincing for me ( 1. reaching plateau1 oscilating +-50 around it, 2. Reaching plateau2 = Plateau1 + 100 oscilating +-50 around it).
    Of couse.. we try to find a method to get to master level, that means you would have to move on to 2300 ;)

    ReplyDelete