Friday, October 25, 2019

Demistifying PLF

I can imagine that the PoPLoAFun system may sound somewhat posh or highbrowed. Especially for them who didn't follow all the details exactly. For me it is just a handy framework for reasoning. The exercises that I derive from it are really simple though.

Black to move
After solving a problem, I copy it to paint, and I add some squares to the picture. Green squares mean plain targets, and red squares mean pieces with a function. The Fun from PoPLoAFun, so to speak.

I don't use lines anymore, since they tend to mess up the picture.

Pawn e3 is under stress since it must defend both the queen and the knight.
The same applies to bishop b2.
Rook d1 is simply overloaded.

The result is that knight d4 is actually undefended, since the defenders have more important tasks to do.

I hope that adding the colored squares by system II inspires system I to take over.

Invasion
While reasoning about positional play with the PLF (PoPLoAFun) system as a base, I found that it was all about preparing the lines of attack and putting the attackers in place. The goal is to invade into hostile territory.

Pawns play a crucial role for creating lines of attack (LoA), as I discovered much to my surprise in the previous post. So now I'm reading everything I can about pawns and their role in the middle game.

To be continued. . .

1 comment:

  1. [FEN: r3rbk1/1pq2ppp/2ppbnn1/p3p3/P1PPN3/BP1BPN1P/2Q2PP1/R2R2K1 w - - 0 1]
    M. Blokh, Combinative Motifs, Problem 296

    I have been unable to locate the reference game: Kozlovskaya-Kislova, Subotica, 1967.

    One of the “interesting” PoPs in this position is d6. On the surface, it appears merely B.A.D. [2:2]. However, visualizing the LoA of Ba3, Ne4 and Rd1 (looking “through” the intervening pieces/Pawns) reveals that White has superiority on d6 [3:2].

    Potential candidate moves are: 1. N(e4)g5, 1. N(f3)g5, 1. Nxd6, and 1. Bxd6. (The last two candidates work out to be the same variation by transposition.)

    This example shows how lines of attack can be opened by judicious exchanges.

    The position is not about Pawn promotion, and it appears on the surface to not be about a kingside attack (since there are several defenders in the vicinity of the Black King). There are some enticing possibilities with the first two candidates. So, I assume that the position must be about winning material. This is where the PoPLoAFun approach and a thorough knowledge of motifs and devices/themes pays significant dividends in directing the thoughts.

    ReplyDelete