Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Training update

Update:

  • I trained 51 days in a row
  • I use a set of 500 themed problems from Chess Tempo
  • I score above 95%
  • According to Chess Tempo it took me 19 hours
  • I estimate that painting squares and arrows took me twice the time
That's where I am after 60 training hours. In stead of continuing with the next problem set of 500 themed problems, I'm going to deepen my knowledge of the 500 problems I have already done. Quality above quantity.

After all, the experiment is about transfer. Transferring skill gained from the 500 problems to any tactical problem. There is some transfer, but not as much as we need. I suppose that that is because so far, the training has mainly been an intellectual exercise. And knowledge doesn't transfer very well.

I intend to take the familiarization of the new patterns I learned from the 500 set to the next level. Learn them by heart. Scoring 100% a tempo. Seeking the similarities between positions. Diving more deeply into the characteristics.

If the study of 500 positions doesn't lead to a measurable transfer, then 1000 positions won't do either. I intend to train for 150 days. That is about 180 actual hours. If that doesn't provide a measurable result, the method doesn't work. Yet I'm optimistic, until so far.

  • Duplo = a tempo
  • Function =  a tempo

3 comments:

  1. well.. good luck
    dont forget, that you will have a bad habbit when you start to test your new skills at ct in blitz mode. so you will need a few extra puzzles to get into the right mode

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have memorized the 500 positions. I am working a few days now with the patterns that belong to that 500 positions. I have for the first time the feeling that the education of system I has started. Maybe system I will not take over when system II is still involved and has the lead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In other words, when you are learning a new language, you start with memorizing a decent vocabulary. And system I is busy to regulate the storage of words. Only after memorizing the vocabulary, system I has the hands free to assist with actually speaking the language.

    ReplyDelete