Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Final conclusion

 After a tactical training of 150 days straight in a row, it is time to draw some conclusions. The most obvious: Mr. Glicko sniffs at me.

Yet not everything is doom and gloom.

  • We can communicate with system 1 (unconscious brain) via squares, arrows and colors
  • There is a difference between new patterns an familiar patterns
  • system 1 works its miracles when we encounter a new pattern. It leads to the euphoric feeling that everything works.
  • I struggle with familiar patterns, though
  • Familiar patterns seems to interfere with each other. When one pattern draws the attention, the other relevant patterns seem to drown in the noise.
  • Feedback is the nec plus ultra method to educate system 1
  • Autopilot is the enemy of feedback
  • During training, the role of system 2 must be minimized
  • During feedback, the role of attention must be maximized
  • Seeing surpasses thinking
  • The PoP's of the PoPLoAFun method are differentiated as LPDO, BAD piece and attacking square
  • the PoPLoAFun method is expanded with the additional punch
  • Where there is Fun, there are chances to exploit
  • I must learn to see the actions of the pieces in stead of being mesmerized by the pieces themselves
I'm going to take a little break of tactical training, and I will focus on my openings for a while.

4 comments:

  1. Will you be blogging about your opening studies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound demoralized. It's not fun to put effort into a project and not see a positive result (in this case, as measured by tactics rating). But, apparently you learned some things in the process. That in itself is a positive result. Do you plan to explain them in a less cryptic form? I hope so.

    I would note that I started experimenting with POPLOAFUN squares and arrows in mid-October. My CT blitz rating immediately started a rise of about 50 points, which has flattened but hasn't gone away yet. You can see this at old.chesstempo.com/chess-statistics/mfardal. I don't know that this is the cause. Maybe the tactics book I had gone through over the previous months finally made a difference. Maybe I'm getting more repeat problems in CT or something like that. But based on the timing, the most natural explanation is that POPLOAFUN made the difference. --mfardal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound demoralized.

      I'm not demoralized. More disappointed. I hoped for a more explicit result. Yet, I'm fairly optimistic. I discovered something that works. The problem is, I cannot get it to work consistently. But that is only a matter of further investigation. I expect.

      Delete