Exchanges in tactics

 Since pawns and exchanges are the essence of positional play, I started to look for information about the subject.

I found the extremely well written book of CM Can Kabadayi at Chessable about The Art of Exchanging Pieces.  Every piece of the puzzle falls into place. A definite recommendation!

Since I train tactics on a daily basis, I couldn't help to investigate the role of exchanges in tactics. That is something that is not covered in the book, which is purely about positional exchanges.

After all, for tactics you look at Checks, Captures and Threats. It is smart to investigate the logic behind the captures in tactics.

The book of CM Kabadayi provides 10 good positional reasons for exchanging pieces or for to avoid that. This means that the 750 tactical positions that I am learning can be used to materialize a favourable positional exchange.

750 how times 10 what is 7500 opportunities to force a favourable exchange. I already won a few games with my newly adopted strategy.

I will keep you posted about the role of exchanges in tactics.

Comments

Chessbase PGN viewer