Fun and momentum

 The major change that I have made in my training regimen, is that I changed the focus of pattern recognition from pieces and moves towards the chess logic behind the moves. That is a shift from pure geometrical patterns to a mere conceptual approach. That solved the transfer problem of knowledge from one problem to another. A geometrical pattern can be ruined by just one pawn on a different place, while the more abstract approach of a logic pattern is relatively piece and move independent.  Luring an overworked piece away is independent of the pieces that are involved and their exact place on the board.

I wasn't completely satisfied with the 3 movers (problems of 5 ply deep). It works, but it doesn't feel very efficient. So I changed towards the 4 movers. That was still fun to do, but it felt even worse in terms of efficiency. Somehow my training lost momentum. So I decided to have a closer look to 2 movers (3 ply). I have done a lot of 2 movers in the past when I was still focusing on geometrical patterns.

I had dismissed 2 movers in the past because I had the feeling that everybody sees them on the board fast, so it isn't going to help me to win games.

But now I have added a minor yet important twist. Not only am I focusing on logic patterns instead of geometrical patterns, but I made a selection of 2 movers with a rating beyond 1700. Not only is the training more fun, but it gained way more momentum than the 3 movers.

I really might be on to something here.

Comments

Chessbase PGN viewer