Crystal clear logic

 There is a chapter in the book about the Colle by GM Simon Williams with 20 thematic tactics that are typical for the Colle. I'm very happy with that. Since it are tactics that I will encounter in my games. I'm sure that a thorough study of those tactics will deliver me a lot of points. 16 of them are about an assault on the king, and I'm sure that I can describe them with the PoPLoAFun system until they become crystal clear.

Furthermore, there are 3 traps, which aren't rocket science either.

But there is one tactic I have difficulty with. Not because I can't calculate it, but because I have difficulty in to describe the logic in the right way.

In order for logic to work as educational stuff for system 1, it must be crystal clear. I know it when I have accomplished that.

White to move


The last move of black was 1. ... Ne4

White can win a pawn here. As said, I have no problem to calculate it. But calculation is an activity of system 2, and I'm sure that it must be possible to simply see the solution. In order to see it, the logic must be crystal clear. I know that when I see it. But somehow, I find it difficult to formulate the logic. To calculate these kind of problems would be the lazy way.

Aox helped me in the past with tit for that logic, and I improved immensely in that area. But in this specific case, I know that I can do better. I must be able to simply see it, without the need to calculate it.

I have seen a whole bunch of child prodigies playing during the tournament, both in the hall and the bar, and I noticed that they are able to see these type of moves without the need to calculate them.

So I'm going to do whatever it takes, to get this problem crystal clear.

Comments

  1. So the final conclusion of the tournament is that there are 3 areas of improvement:
    1. Tunnel vision. Where system 1 is not educated yet, and you solely rely on system 2, without a system 1 that is throwing in some ideas.
    2. Tactics that are related to your opening and that can be described by the PoPLoAFun system (invasion and King assault)
    3. Tempo battles. Like in the diagram of this post.

    I expect that the first two are relatively easy to fix. It is only a whole lot of work for all new openings I play. I reckon that it takes a year or two. I assume that if I fix this it will make me a good positional player. Especially when it is followed by a serious study of endgame strategy.

    Point 3 is the area of the child prodigy. It would make me a tactical player. PoPLoAFun is of no use here, it is about seeing tempos. I expect that this would give rise to the greatest progress. The problem is that it is seductive to calculate here with the aid of system 2, and think that you master this. Instead of insisting on the formulation of the crystal clear logic that is needed for the education of system 1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are two significant PoPs in this position: e4 and c6, so ASSUME that there is something (material or improved attacking chances against the Black king) that can be gained by exchanges involving the pieces attacking/defending those two squares. c6 is ”merely” B.A.D. (a potential tit-for-tat). White has local superiority on e4 (2:1), in spite of the indirect “influence” of the BBb7 on e4. There are only two capturing possibilities on e4 to initiate an exchange sequence: capture on e4 with the White Bishop or the White Knight.

    White has the potential to capture WITH CHECK on h7, whereas Back has no such potential check.

    The conundrum to be resolved is to “see” how White can take advantage of his superiority on e4 without allowing Black tit-for-tat exchanges until both sides run out of pieces to exchange. It will take the form of performing the FIRST capture, and then terminating the exchange sequence with an advantage. Because White captures FIRST, the termination point can be an equal or greater threat (including a possible check), gain of more material than can be recaptured by Black, or potential damage to the Black king’s position, improving White’s chances for a kingside attack. In all cases, at some point in the exchange sequence, there will be an opportunity for a “desperado” move (a possible Zwischenzug or Zwischenschach) which disallows Black from continuing tit-for-tat.

    Knowing that such a position will ALWAYS have an embedded “desperado” MAY significantly reduce the need for detailed calculation to quiescence before deciding to initiate the exchange sequence.

    I think the “desperado” idea may be the “secret” to these types of positions, even though that is NOT the standard definition of “desperado. Abstracting a known category to a higher level sometimes provides a useful answer.

    [FWIW, the “desperado” is one of Mr. Lasker’s useful MOTIFS].

    ReplyDelete
  3. r2q1rk1/pb2bppp/1pn1p3/2ppN3/3PnP2/1P1BP3/PBPN2PP/R2Q1RK1 w - - 1 11

    ReplyDelete
  4. White can win a pawn here?
    1. Nxe4 Nxe5 2. ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. https://chessvision.ai/?utm_source=firefox&utm_medium=extension

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Chessbase PGN viewer