Compositions

 I haven't decided yet whether compositions of mate in two can have any use in the process of learning skills. On the one hand, the positions are not realistic, usually. It is often about some mate in the middle of the board. That means that you won't get those positions in an OTB game. Within this lifetime, that is.

On the other hand, what have we got:

  • Tactical themes like pin, trap and double attack and the like
  • Interconnections between themes
  • PoPLoAFun
  • Escape squares
  • Logical narratives that connect the dots
  • Patterns that emerge from all these points
#2 compositions seems to focus especially on interconnections between themes and logical narratives. My current training, that I probably will continue for a very long time, seems to target the other points already. So I think it is a good idea to investigate whether #2 compositions are a useful as complement. I start with a set of 10 or so, to see how it goes.

White to move

7n/3NR3/1P3p2/1p1kbN1B/1p6/1K6/6b1/1Q6 w - - 0 1

Currently, there are two squares where the black king can go: e4 and c6. This means that you have to cover these three squares (e4 d5 c6) at least to get a mate. The only pieces that can do that are the white Queen and bishop. The white knights and rook cannot do that.
The only defender of the long diagonal is the black bishop. Hence the task at hand is how to get rid of the defender of the line of attack.

What we see is that only a little bit of logic prunes a whole host of variations in the bud. The best way to become faster is not to calculate variations but to prune them. Let logic guide you. Since compositions invite to use logic instead of just trial and error, they might be a good idea to add to my training regimen. I'm going to find out whether this idea holds true.

By the way, I DON'T advocate to solve these problems yourself. Since the positions are so rare, that is not going to be helpful. Stockfish is your friend.

Unless you like solving compositions, ofcourse.

Comments

  1. This will take some time.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "red herring" for me was that I saw the "obvious" ram of the White and Black pawns on the left side of the diagram, and consequently did not "SEE" that the White pawn controls the c7-square, even though you clearly stated that "Currently, there are two squares where the black king can go: e4 and c6." That should have been sufficient to trigger a reversal of the board in my mind—but it didn't. I struggled with the illusion that the Black king could escape via the c7-square, "thinking" it was the f2-square. When I put it into GM Stockfish, I finally realized my mistake.

    The visual pattern of a ram overrode my mental orientation of the board. The illogic of pawns (apparently rammed together, blocking each other) moving AWAY from each other is part of why I dislike composed problems. I always get stuck thinking, “How could such a position occur in a real game?” The obvious answer is, “It can’t.”

    Lesson learned (I hope!):

    ALWAYS check the board orientation BEFORE attempting to solve a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just saying hi Temposchlucker. I'm so glad you are still hitting the Evil 64. :) :) :) How is your play these days? I'm thinking of taking up chess, very casually, after a decade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BDK, long time no see! Good to hear from you again! After 23 years of experimenting I finally have found the beginning of a method how to transform knowledge into skill. Since a year I'm training according this method. It means a complete overhaul of everything I'm used to. My rating finally seems to head in the right direction.
      My blog is still unreadable for non technocrats, though.

      Delete
    2. Wow amazing to see Takchess around still, it makes me so happy :)

      Tempo I'm sorry to request work from you, but have you posted any summary posts that you might direct me to? I'm very curious!

      Delete
    3. The beginning of my revelations were in March 2023. I wasn't able to write it down immediately in a clear way though. That happened during the last year. Yet if you start at the following posts, you get an idea where things are heading. April 28, April 30, May 3 and May 5 in 2023. Feel free to ask questions.

      Delete
    4. Thanks I look forward to poring through the scriptures. :)

      Delete
  4. I give up. What's the answer ? Also hi Bdk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In theory I was on the path to how this had to be solved. I thought that one had to control the diagonal the bishop was on without the bishop blocking. Deflection was not thought of

      Delete

Post a Comment

Chessbase PGN viewer