Friday, May 25, 2007

Differentiation of cluelessity

Everyday I do one problem from Polgars other brick. Usually this happens:

In the first two minutes I recognize 2-3 important tactical motifs.
I look for another 20 minutes. There are three posibilities:
  • 1. I get an "aha-experience" after 15 minutes and find 1-2 other tactical motifs which, after calculation, leads to the solution.
  • 2. I see nothing and look up the solution and get an "aha-experience" (pattern already in my chessmodule)
  • 3. I see nothing and look up the solution and I don't recognize the solution as the solution (see previous post).
Situation 1
I try to find out why I didn't recognize a familiar pattern immediate. Without result so far. Is there something better than trial and error?

Situation 2
I try to find out why I didn't recognize the familiar pattern earlier. Without result so far.

Situation 3
I try to get familiar with the unknown pattern. With succes so far, since I recognized today a pattern that I have seen for the first time two days ago.

I have done 4 problems so far. The solution of two of them was partially busted by Rybka. So the grandmaster that won the game by that combination, his grandmaster opponent and the grandmaster who checked the problem seemed all to suffer from tunnelvision, because they recognized all three a winning combination where there wasn't one. Which seems to be the downside of a good chessmodule.

No comments:

Post a Comment