Saturday, September 24, 2022

Debbie Downer

 Today I had to solve a problem about which I have written a post on August 27. I failed miserably. I was rather disappointed. A position I have studied for hours on end, had nothing tangible left in system 1.

But Robert cheered me up with his problem in the comment of the previous post, which I could solve without any system 2 deliberations. I considered my mate study to be completed, so the method is right for mates already, but for the other tactical elements it is not completed yet.

What happened on August 27 ? Apparently, I have broken down the position into edible chunks with the aid of system 2, but I haven't eaten the chunks yet. So system 1 knows nothing about it.

That is why I highly recommend to make use of a database with positions, and use the same positions over and over again. First you must process it with system 2 to make it edible, then you must eat it.

Which helps us with a new definition: you are ready when you solve the position without any activity of system 2.

3 comments:

  1. There are two phases. The creation of edible chunks by system 2, and the absorption of it by system 1. Phase one can be done by a chess coach and or a chess engine, I presume. Phase two is still some kind of black box. It seems that the mere exposure to the knowledge is enough, no matter the method.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That can't be quite true. The first circles of DLM's madness worked as the first phase, where the edible chunks were created in slow motion by system 2. The second phase were the fast circles, where no one ate the chunks with system 1. So the slow motion of the second phase seems to be a precondition. Which seems to indicate, that even during phase two, system 2 is in the lead. It has to shut up, though, otherwise system 1 can't follow the focus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these sort of counting exchanges can be hard to SEE. My intuition tells me in this position that I am not in Back Row Mate danger and my opponent possibly is. That this would not occur till after a few exchanges and there may be limits to their mobility . If I were to think about it > I could of looked at an inbetween move by the bishop to gain a tempo as one of the few possible answers . ( I looked at an Xray which didnt work as well) Looking forward to what you find in your journey on this one.

    ReplyDelete